The Town is planning to purchase the pier properties shown below:
The pier is special to many people and has been an icon on the island for a very long time. The implications of the Town taking control of the pier are very significant to property owners and other stakeholders. There are numerous factors that should be considered.
A public hearing is scheduled for July 8th at 7:00PM at Town Hall. Since many property owners may not be aware of these plans or able to attend the public hearing, now is your opportunity to play a role in determining the future of the pier by communicating your opinions to the Town Commissioners before July 8th. Their contact information is:
· Patty Kwiatkowski: firstname.lastname@example.org
· Michael Sullivan: email@example.com
· Brian Murdock: firstname.lastname@example.org
· Gerald Brown: email@example.com
· Rick Smith: firstname.lastname@example.org
· Alan Holden: email@example.com
Please include Heather Finnell if you would like your comments to be included in the public record: firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you would like to remain anonymous, you can send your comments to the HBPOA at email@example.com and we will make sure they are communicated to the Commissioners.
Some of the key questions that have been raised but not yet addressed include:
- What are the Town’s plans for this property?
- Use it for public parking?
- Run it as a pier and charge for access? Will property owners be charged the same amount as visitors?
- Lease it out to a private business such as a restaurant?
- Is the pier and building up to code for its intended use?
- How much investment will be required to make it compliant?
- What repairs are needed to make it safe?
- How will the purchase and other expenses be covered?
- Will the Town take out a new loan? If so, will this loan impact our borrowing capacity for other items (e.g., FEMA project, sewer system upgrades)
- Will property taxes be increased or a special assessment levied?
- What are the expected ongoing operating and maintenance costs (including insurance coverage)?
- Is it anticipated the property will generate revenue to help pay for itself?
- Where will the revenue come from (i.e., paid parking, usage fees, lease payments)?
- How much is expected per year?
- What is the expected return on investment (i.e., how many years to pay off the purchase price)?